Beyonce Giselle Knowles-Carter was born in Houston Texas on September 4th, 1981 to hairdresser and salon owner Tina Knowles and businessman Matthew Knowles. She had a dream and a talent for singing that her parents recognized early on. Beyonce started her journey to greatness at the tender age of eight after auditioning for a group called ‘Girls Tyme’. There she met lifelong friend childhood friend Kelly Rowland met also met a future Destiny’s Child member LaTavia Roberson. There were three other girls in the group; they danced, sang and rapped all around Houston. They even made it to all the way to Star Search but sadly didn’t win.
Beyonce’s parents risked it all for the girl group with her father quitting his job to manage the group full-time. Matthew reduced the group to a four-some and worked hard to eventually get them signed to Columbia Records in 1996. Destiny’s Child broke the charts are won many awards while together but it wasn’t all drama free. Kelley and Beyonce formed an unbreakable family-like bond but the other girls in the group didn’t mesh as well. Some of the members were not happy with Matthew being their manager and were even rumored to be fired from the group. Replacements came but the perfect formula was when Michelle Williams joined the group and there were reduced to a trio. Soon after in 2000 the girls released ‘Independent Women 2’ for the Charlies Angles Soundtrack becoming their best-charting single, topping the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for eleven consecutive weeks. The girls racked up awards and toured the world making them one of the most successful girl groups of all time. But Beyonce wanted more.
In 2002 Beyonce released her first solo project with then secret boyfriend Jay-Z ’03 Bonnie and Clyde’. This was the prelude to her first solo album ‘Dangerously In Love’ that was released on June 24, 2003. The chart-topping album sold 317,000 copies in its first week and produced many hits. Beyonce has since released five projects with single after single become ladies anthems all around the world.
On April 8, 2004 Beyonce and Jay-Z married in a small private ceremony in New York surrounded by friends and family. January 7, 2012 the couple welcomed their first child Blue Ivy Carter to the world. While all seemed well for The Carters, little did we know there was turmoil in their marriage. The couple rarely gives interviews and mostly chooses to speak through their music but shocked the world when Beyonce released Lemonade in 2016 revealing that her husband hadn’t been faithful and they had split up. But by the time Lemonade had dropped the couple had reunited.
February 1, 2017 Beyonce dropped another bomb on us revealing that she was expecting twins with her husband by posting a pregnancy picture on Instagram. The pic got 6.3 million “likes” within eight hours. In true Beyonce fashion, she kept quiet when she gave birth and revealed to fans a month later that she had a healthy baby boy and girl on June 13, 2017 named Rumi and Sir Carter.
Beyonce took some time to enjoy her family before snatching our edges again by becoming the first African-American Woman to headline at Coachella with the most black and woke performance ever! And if that wasn’t enough Beyonce blew us away with her Coachella performance by reuniting with Destiny’s Child. And then to top that off Beyonce announced a world tour with Jay-Z OTRII and releasing their first collaboration album called ‘Everything is Love’.
But Beyonce is much more than a singer. She is a successful businesswoman launching several clothing lines and various brands. And we cannot overlook her activism in politics, race relations, and feminism.
Check Out Beyonce’s Best Stage Performance Outfits Of All Time
1. Destiny’s Child – 1st Annual BET AwardsSource: 1 of 15
2. Destiny’s Child Opening of MTV’s ‘TRL’ Tour at Pepsi Arena – July 2001Source: 2 of 15
3. Beyoncé in Concert on the opening night of her 2009 U.S. TourSource: 3 of 15
4. Beyoncé Performing At The 2011 Billboard Music AwardsSource: 4 of 15
5. Beyoncé Performing At The Pepsi Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show In 2013Source: 5 of 15
6. Jay Z and Beyonce on their ‘On the Run’ Tour In 2014Source: 6 of 15
7. Beyoncé Pepsi Super Bowl 50 Halftime Show In 2016Source: 7 of 15
8. Beyoncé Performing At ‘The Formation World Tour’ In 2016Source: 8 of 15
9. Beyoncé Performing At TIDAL X In 2016Source: 9 of 15
10. Beyoncé Performing At The 59th GRAMMY Awards In 2017Source: 10 of 15
11. Beyoncé Performing At A Get Out The Vote Concert In Support Of Hillary Clinton In 2016Source: 11 of 15
12. Beyoncé And Jay-Z On The Run Tour II In June 2018Source: 12 of 15
13. Beyoncé On The Run Tour II In June 2018Source: 13 of 15
14. Beyoncé On The Run Tour II In June 2018Source: 14 of 15
15. Beyoncé On The Run Tour II In June 2018Source: 15 of 15
Black Music Month: From Destiny’s Child to Beyonce was originally published on mycolumbusmagic.com