President Obama‘s recent visit to South Dakota wasn’t just any ol’ stop on his increasingly busy political map. It also officially marked him as the fourth U.S. president to have visited all 50 states in the United States of America!
Presidents before him that have achieved this feat include Richard Nixon, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. It’s kind of remarkable that only four U.S. presidents have stepped foot on all 50 states in their presidencies. Associated Press noted that it took Obama 6 1/2 years to fulfill. We think it’s another unique win for the nation’s first Black president. It will undoubtedly be a part of his legacy.
His trip to South Dakota was for a special purpose. As reported by PEOPLE magazine, Obama was there to deliver a commencement speech at Lake Area Technical Institute, a community college in Watertown. His speech went along with an earlier proposal of community college being free for eligible students sometime in the near future. His SD presence was especially requested by 11-year-old, Rebecca Kelley. Kelley, a resident of Vermillion, sent President Obama a handwritten and drawn letter. In asking him to please come and visit, she also wrote: “We are the warmest of the Dakotas.”
When he arrived, Obama told local news station KSFY-TV: “I [couldn’t] let my South Dakota friends feel neglected.” At the beginning of his Lake View speech, he jokingly remarked: “I am thrilled to be here. I have now been to all 50 states as president and I was saving the best for last. To the other 49, I hope you take no offense.”
We’re sure going to miss him when he officially completes his second and final term as President in January 2017.
Behind Every Great Man: The Most Powerful First Lady Initiatives That Have Changed Our World
1. From 1974 to 2015: How First Ladies Showed Real Girl Power In American PoliticsSource: 1 of 10
2. Betty Ford (Elizabeth Ann Bloomer)-Married To Gerald Ford, Was The First Lady From 1974-1977Source:Getty 2 of 10
3. Rosalynn Carter (born Eleanor Rosalynn Smith)-Married to Jimmy Carter, The First Lady From 1977 to 1981Source:Getty 3 of 10
4. Nancy Reagan (born Anne Frances Robbins)-Married to Ronald Reagan, The First Lady from 1981-1989Source:Getty 4 of 10
5. Barbara Bush (born Barbara Pierce)-Married To George Bush Sr., The First Lady From 1989-1993Source:Getty 5 of 10
6. Hillary Clinton (born Hillary Diane Rodham)-Married To Bill Clinton, The First Lady From 1993-2001Source:Getty 6 of 10
7. Laura Bush (born Lane Welch)-Married To George W. Bush, The First Lady From 2001-2009Source:Getty 7 of 10
8. Michelle Obama (born LaVaughn Robinson)-Married To Barack Obama, The First Lady From 2009-presentSource:Getty 8 of 10
9. Aja Brown, Mayor of Compton, 2014Source:Getty 9 of 10
10. Chirlane McCray-Married To NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio, First Lady From 2014-PresentSource:Getty 10 of 10
Salute! President Obama Is The 4th U.S. Commander-in-Chief To Visit All 50 States was originally published on hellobeautiful.com