Knox, along with her now ex-boyfriend, was first convicted and sentenced in 2009 before it was overturned in 2011 due to a lack of evidence.
Florence, Italy (CNN) — Amanda Knox vowed Friday to fight her conviction for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher “until the very end” and said she “will never go willingly” back to Italy.
Speaking on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Knox said news of the guilty verdict Thursday “really has hit me like a train.”
“I did not expect this to happen. I really expected so much better from the Italian justice system,” she said. “They found me innocent before. How can they say that it’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt?”
Her attorney, Ted Simon, told CNN’s “New Day” that he had been in touch with Knox and her family all day as they awaited the court’s decision.
“It was terrible news,” he said. “She understands more than anyone that a wrongful conviction is unjust, not just for the accused but for the victim, their family, as well as society, and she feels this very personally.”
Knox’s conviction has raised questions about her possible extradition to Italy to serve her 28½-year sentence, handed down in absentia, since she has been in the United States throughout the retrial.
But Simon said it was too early to talk about extradition since there is still an appeals process to go through, which will probably last another year.
Citing privacy and confidentiality issues, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf declined to say whether Italy has requested Knox be extradited.
Knox, 26, told ABC she would fight every step of the way.
“I will never go willingly back to the place where I — I’m gonna fight this until the very end,” she said.
READ MORE: CNN.com
Article Courtesy of CNN
Picture Courtesy of Hello Beautiful
Amanda Knox Convicted Again in Italy, Willing to Fight New Charges was originally published on wzakcleveland.com