Straight outta music to topping this weekend’s box office, the film biopic about rap group N.W.A., “Straight Outta Compton” slayed in theaters nationwide. It debuted with $56.1 million meeting industry predictions that ranged from $55 to $60 million. The film that focused on how the group formed and later revolutionized music, pop culture and influenced hip-hop world wide with a West Coast flavor while being honest about life in Southern Los Angeles and police brutality, also broke a record. “Straight Outta Compton” became the biggest ever August opening for an R-rated movie. “American Pie 2” held that crown for 14 years. N.W.A. launched members Ice Cube (O’Shea Jackson Jr.), Dr. Dre (Corey Hawkins), Eazy-E (Jason Mitchell), DJ Yella (Neil Brown, Jr.) and MC Ren (Aldis Hodge) to superstar status and fortune.
N.W.A. members Ice Cube, also known as O’Shea Jackson, and Dr. Dre, whose real name is Andre Young served as co-producers on this F. Gary Gray directed film.
Here are the top five from Third Week of July 2015’s box office:
- “Straight Outta Compton” … $56.1 million in its opening weekend.
- “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation”… $17 million in its third weekend on screens.
- “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” … $13.5 in its debut weekend.
- “Fantastic Four” …$8 million in week two.
- “The Gift” … $6.5 million in week two.
### ( @1067WTLC ) ###
Follow me on Twitter @kwellscomm.