Zoleka Mandela passed away of cancer Monday evening at the age of 43. The granddaughter of South Africa’s first democratically elected President Nelson Mandela, was surrounded by friends and family in her final moments.
Zoleka Mandela is seen as an inspiration for detailing her cancer treatment and her history of drug addiction. She has raised “awareness about cancer prevention” as well as “breaking down the stigma surrounding the disease”.
Zoleka was the granddaughter of Nelson Mandela’s second wife, Winnie and was only 10 when her grandfather was released from prison in 1990 after 27 years in detention. Nelson Mandela died in 2013 at the age of 95. Through Mr Mandela’s legacy Zoleka stood up for the betterment of her community. After her 13-year-old daughter was killed in a car accident in 2010 she campaigned for better road safety. She later lost a son who was born prematurely. She is survived by four children who she loved very much!
Zoleka was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32. She was in remission after receiving treatment but the illness later returned. In 2022 she confirmed that she had cancer in her liver and lungs, it then spread to other organs.
“What do I tell my children? How do I tell them that this time around I may not get to live my life as a survivor? How do I tell them everything will be OK when it’s not? I’m dying… I don’t want to die,” she posted on Instagram in August 2022.
In an interview with Kaya FM in April, Ms Mandela said: “I’m learning to be okay with my eventuality.” In her autobiography ‘When Hope Whispers’, she documents her emotionally inspirational story. Rest In Heaven Zoleka Mandela!
Also See: Learn About The 54 Countries of Africa
- Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Dwayne Haskins Dead At 24
- Lee Elder, First Black Golfer To Play In Masters, Dead At 87
- Colin Powell, First Black Secretary Of State And Military Leader, Passes Away
- The “Original First Lady Of WTLC” Vicki Buchanon Has Passed Away
- Cause Of Death For Keyshia Cole’s Mother Frankie Lyons Revealed
- Melvin Van Peebles, Director And The ‘Godfather Of Black Cinema’ Passes Away At 89
- ‘Sex and the City’ Star Willie Garson Dead at 57
- Comedian Anthony “AJ” Johnson, Best Known For ‘Friday’ & ‘I Got The Hook Up,’ Reportedly Passes Away
- Actor Michael K. Williams Found Dead In NYC Apartment
- Beyonce’s Former Bodyguard Dies of COVID
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Zoleka Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s Granddaughter Dies Of Cancer At 43 was originally published on woldcnews.com
Congrats!: Ashanti Is Pregnant, Irv Gotti Catches Strays On Twitter X
Inmate Who Stabbed Derek Chauvin Was Inspired By Black Lives Matter Movement: Report
Tom Joyner Fantastic Voyage
Courtroom Brawl: Judge and Attorney Have a Fist Fight In Court [VIDEO]
Holiday on the Ave: Black Santa Toy Drive!
#ManCrushMonday: 15 Black Actors Who Are Sexy & Under 40
Take Our Music Survey for a Chance to win $250 + Katt Williams Tickets
Miki Howard Finally Speaks Out About Her Son's Claim That Michael Jackson is His Father