Mattel has turned Ava DuVernay into a Barbie doll. According to reports, Barbie revealed that they’re honoring six “Sheroes–” women who inspire girls by “breaking boundaries and expanding possibilities for women everywhere.” Ava is the poster child of breaking boundaries. She is the first Black female director to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture. She also has the type of power that lifts other just like her up. Ava founded the African-American Film Festival Releasing Movement, which promotes film-making among people of color. If anyone deserves to be labeled a shero, it’s her. Plus, just look at her!
“Barbie has always represented that girls have choices, and this Spring we are proud to honor six Sheroes who through their trade and philanthropic efforts are an inspiration to girls,” said Evelyn Mazzocco, General Manager Barbie. “Started by a female entrepreneur and mother, this brand has a responsibility to continue to honor and encourage powerful female role models who are leaving a legacy for the next generation of glass ceiling breakers.”
The Shero celebration will culminate on National #Shero Day, which is on Monday, April 27. This is a day where fans will have the opportunity to pay tribute to the Shero who has empowered them using #Shero #BeSuper and tagging @Barbie via Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.
Other Sheroes who are being honored are Emmy Rossum, Eva Chen, Kristin Chenoweth, Sydney “Mayhem” Keiser and Trisha Yearwood. Check out all the sheroes:
Now, how do we get our manicured hands on one?!
MORE AVA DUVERNAY:
15 Times Ava DuVernay Proved She's A Budding Fashion Icon
1. 2015 OscarsSource:Getty Images 1 of 15
2. Essence Women in Hollywood LuncheonSource:Getty Images 2 of 15
3. Selma Berlin PremiereSource:Getty Images 3 of 15
4. Selma Screening at the AFI FestSource:Getty Images 4 of 15
5. 46th NAACP Image AwardsSource:Getty Images 5 of 15
6. Palm Springs Film Festival Awards GalaSource:Getty Images 6 of 15
7. Palm Springs Festival Opening GalaSource:Getty Images 7 of 15
8. The Contenders Deadline EventSource:Getty Images 8 of 15
9. Film Independent Spirit AwardsSource:Getty Images 9 of 15
10. ICG Publicists AwardsSource:Getty Images 10 of 15
11. Selma European PremiereSource:Getty Images 11 of 15
12. Selma Berlin PhotocallSource:Getty Images 12 of 15
13. Selma New York PremiereSource:Getty Images 13 of 15
14. Ebony Magazine 2014 Power 100 List CelebrationSource:Getty Images 14 of 15
15. "Selma" And The Legends Who Paved The Way GalaSource:Getty Images 15 of 15
Mattel Turns Ava DuVernay Into A Barbie For ‘Sheroes’ Doll Collection & We Want One! [PHOTO] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com