We all want to communicate better in our relationships, but did you know the #1 reason for break-ups and divorce is because of lack of communication or because of a communication problem?
Here are some tips to communicate better:
- Find the Right Time. If you want to have a serious conversation about something make sure you pick the right time. In public, or through a text message is not the best time or way to do it. If your partner is about to watch a game or studying for a test, that may not be the best time either. Make sure it is a good time for you both.
- Talk Face to Face. As stated earlier, text messages, letters and emails can be misinterpreted. Talk in person so there aren’t any unnecessary miscommunications.
- Do Not Attack. Even when we mean well, we can sometimes come across as harsh because of our word choice. Using “you” can sound like you’re attacking, which will make your partner defensive and less receptive to your message. Instead, try using “I” or “we.” For example, say “I feel like we haven’t been as close lately” instead of “You have been distant with me.”
- Be Honest. Sometimes the truth hurts, but agree to be honest, it’s the key to a healthy relationship. Admit that you aren’t always perfect and apologize when you make a mistake instead of making excuses.
- Check Your Body Language. Make eye contact when speaking. Sit up and face your partner. Let your partner know you’re listening. Show them you really care. Don’t take a phone call, text or play a video game when you’re talking. and try not to cross your arms. Listen and respond.
- LISTEN…Again I say make sure you are listing to your partner! This is so important!!
If you do these things, your relationship can grow and communication will be better.